New Logo

About Blackjacks Mill
Rooms and tariff
Venue
How to find us
Contact us

Home

Blackjacks Mill was built in 1840. It stands within 6 acres of the most glorious, unspoilt countryside and includes three islands, four bridges and over a mile of private river.

The former water mill lies between the River Colne and the Grand Union canal and is within the Harefield Conservation Area.
The current building stands on the site of the original mill, which was recorded in the Doomsday Book of 1086.

As legend goes, Blackjacks Mill was named after a serf who used to deliver flour using a donkey and cart. He was a cruel man and treated the animal so badly that local children used to call after him, "Black tempered Jack!" Over the years the name transferred to the mill. Fortunately the present owners love all animals and even have a rescue donkey as part of Blackjacks Mill menagerie!